Monday, March 19, 2012

Mission (almost accomplished)

The event.  St Paddy's Day race along Chicago's Lakefront.  I ran in the 8K
Weather: A LOT warmer than last year's event.  it must have ben 65-70 when the race started.  No forest gren long sleve top this year.  I was in a short sleved replica Liverpool training kit.  The shirt sponsor's logo for a certain Danish beer was emrald green on a white background. .
The positives: I wanted a slow begining.  Slow as in 11 minute miles.  Mission accomplished for the first mile.  The second was about 10:30.  The third-Ido't remember, except it was too fast, so I decided to slow down for the fourth.  I tried to save energy for a finishing kick.  Yep, as soon as we get a cross the bridge over Diversy Harbor, I'll step on the gas, I thought. 
Bridge crossed, I accelerated..and forgot how much longer I had to run!  I almost went the wrong way dpwn the path where the 5K runners were suppose to go. Ooops.
I slowed down to get control of my breathing.  All the turns in the course made it longer than it seemed.
now that I think about it, the course wasn't layed out any different than last year.
Final turn.  Gasp Wheeze.  The fiinsh line seemed so far away.
Official time: 48:43.  About 4 minutes slower than last year.  Well, maybe if it had been colder.  Well maybe if I had trained a little more.  Well maybe.....I need water to drink and soak my head, a banana, and a couple of bottles of the sponsor's drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment