Monday, February 18, 2013

The road goes on forever - but not in a straight line


In my previous long runs to the Lakefront trail or to River Park  I've run long, straight stretches on main roads.  If I go to the Lake front, I return on Irving Park Blvd. If I return from River Park, it's on Foster Ave.... a long straight never-ending run.  Or so it seems.
I'm beginning to think that the  long straight runs are more psychologically tiring than physically tiring.
Come to think of it - is there a road race out there which features a five mile straight, flat segment?   The ones I've been in have turns and curves every 2 or 3 miles.  My route from the Lakefront is "straighter than a preacher/longer than a memory", as Steve Earle once sang.  Today's run would be a change.
Instead of the long hoof down Irving Park, I started down Milwaukee to Addison.  Then Addison to Kimble.  North on Kimble to Irving Park.  East on Irving to Western, and then South to Addison.  After that, there was a long stretch to the Lakefront trail.
After hoofing down the Lakefront trail to Grand Ave., I made it back as far as Belmont Ave. turned West and carried on until Clark St.  That was enough.  Public transit home.
The route can be seen here


Our crazy winter weather continues in the Chicago area.  It spiked up to 50!  You wouldn't know it because of the wind.  Nevertheless, I got my long slow distance run in while the sun shone.

It was another chance to briefly try the android version of RunKeeper.  I'm not crazy about the way it sucks up the battery life, but a 30 minute test couldn't hurt.
I started it at one of the mile markers, but noticed that when I got to the next mile marker it didn't announce that I had run a mile.  Huh?  It let me know when I ran 1.2 miles though.

On the way back, I tried the MapMy Run app.  At least it didn't deplete the battery life too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment